I often ask myself if GMO's are supposedly so safe (according to Monsanto and others that have tampered with our crops by genetically modifying them with toxic or allergen causing chemicals like Roundup®), why does Monsanto's UK facility serve no GMO foods in their corporate dining rooms? Here's a list of the top six major players in agricultural genetic engineering in the private sector. Many of them have extensive plant breeding operations across the world, and then add transgenic traits to the varieties they breed.
- Monsanto (NYSE: MON) is based in St. Louis, Missouri. Monsanto has the largest market share of GE crops in the world.
- Pioneer Hi-Bred International is based in Johnston, Iowa. Pioneer is a subsidiary of DuPont (not publicly traded).
- Syngenta AG (NYSE:SYT) is based in Basel, Switzerland.
- Dow Agrosciences is based in Indianapolis, Indiana. Dow Agrosciences is a subsidiary of Dow Chemical (NYSE:DOW).
- BASF (OTC:BASFY) is based in Ludwigshafen, Germany. While primarily a chemical company, they are rapidly expanding their biotechnology division.
- Bayer Cropscience is based in Monheim, Germany. Bayer Cropscience is a subsidiary of Bayer (OTC:BAYRY).