|Acorn Squash Stuffed with Couscous|
|Roasted Butternut Squash Sliced Lengthwise|
- Squash provides important antioxidants like Vitamin A and C and has iron, zinc, copper, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus. Squash is a complex carbohydrate, and is low-cal if not smothered in oil or butter. Squash is a high fiber food, packed with alpha-carotene and beta-carotene. Eating squash may help reduce the risk of getting certain forms of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and age-related macular degeneration.
Squash is versatile and easy to prepare. Discover hints and ideas below. Before you begin to cook, wash your hands as well as the outside of whatever squash you decide to use.Any way you serve winter squash, get ready for a tasty, nutritious treat.
- Fill a roasting pan with enough water to cover the bottom of the pan with at least two inches of water.
- Next, pierce the squash several times with a fork to create steam holes. Leave squash whole (that way you won't have to struggle slicing or chopping through the hard shell). Bake at 375 degrees F for three-quarters of an hour.
- Use oven mitts to lift the roasting pan out of the oven. Place pan on a stable cutting board that can withstand the heat of a pan just out of the oven. Test the squash to see if it is soft enough to cut easily in half length-wise. If the squash is not fully cooked, add more water and place it back in the oven to cook for another 15 min. or until tender. Cooking time varies according to the weight and shape of the squash used.
- Allow to cool enough to handle. Put squash on a carving board and cut acorn or butternut squash lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and mushy pulp.
- Peel the skin off of the acorn and butternut squash and slice into bite-sized slices or chunks.Flavor with a savory spice combo like garlic, finely chopped rosemary, thyme, and sage.
- An additional way to prepare acorn or butternut squash is to puree the pulp in a food processor, using a half cup of organic apple juice or nut milk, until creamy and lump free.
- Prepare spaghetti squash the same way, until after you cut it in half. Allow spaghetti squash to cool for a few minutes. Then, use a large fork to make the pulp string into pieces and resemble spaghetti. Heat it up in a spicy marinara sauce. See Spaghetti-Squash-Magic for Handling Ideas and Recipe. If you prefer, serve spaghetti squash in a flavorful vegetable broth that has been infused with ginger.
- Serve squash dishes with a grain like brown rice, couscous, quinoa, or buckwheat. Serve steamed collards, chard, kale, or spinach greens in addition for a plant based entrée that's loaded with nutrients and flavor.
Note: This post was updated on Nov. 18, 2016
Links to additional resources follow:
The quotation for today is:
"You know, when you get your first asparagus, or your first acorn squash, or your first really good tomato of the season, those are the moments that define the cook's year. I get more excited by that than anything else." Mario Batali. See Brainy Quote link below.http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/squash.html
Are you a squash-cooking newbie? Great news. Cooking squash and eating it is delicious fun. Try it!
Please comment below. Scroll down underneath the last comment, and put feedback in the space provided. Then click publish.
I'd love to know your favorite kind of winter squash. Are you willing to share recipe ideas or tips? If you have a post with a plant-based recipe (vegan) for winter squash, leave a link and I'll publish it.
Here are links to my Facebook Page and Pinterest. Stop on by and say hello. I appreciate the support!
This post has been shared at Simply-Natural-Saturday-11 19 16
This post has been shared at the-plant-based-potluck-party-link-up-111
This post is shared at the Let's Get Real Blog Hop #117
This post is shared at the the Plant-Based Potluck Party Link Up #65
This post is shared at the-healthy-happy-green-natural-party-blog-hop-43/
This post is shared at Real Food Fridays# 68 /real-food-friday-68