Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday Musings + Meaning in the Season

This year, I am purposely taking gift-giving in slow gear, setting the intention to consciously plan how much time, energy, and resources I use to select gifts for those on my gift list. This feels right to me, especially when I purchase items that don't exceed my budget and dispense with ego, which tells me to select gifts that may be received favorably or draw attention to me. Today, I look for gifts that serve a utilitarian as well as a pleasurable function. And if my gift is for a child, a toy that adheres to safety standards and is durable rather than flashy, is of the utmost importance to me.

I find many reasons to be grateful this holiday season and my "raised awareness" attitude is one. I am grateful that despite all the naysayers, we live in a country where there is free speech, an opportunity to better ourselves, and free will. I'm grateful that today I know I'm responsible for my own well-being and happiness and take measures to satisfy my own needs. I'm grateful that I care deeply about others and do service work that helps others and is fulfilling to me . I'm grateful I have a career that I love and a soul mate to share my life with. I'm grateful for friends and family I hold dear. For today I have made the choice to be with people in my life who accept me and cherish me just as I am. I'm grateful I know I have options. I have learned that I need to be conscious about how I conduct myself, what I believe and think, and how I live. Today I make the decision to live simply and mindfully, taking particular care about my carbon footprint. I set the intention daily to do my part to conserve mother earth and her resources as well as strive to be kind and loving with all the people I know. This is my holiday gift to myself and those I meet.

Please share with me on social media. Mention this blog.

And please show the love on Google+. For a great holiday gift giving idea, check out my new book, published in 2014 at Colors of Joy

The quote for today comes from http://Thinkexist.com

“Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more.”  Anthony Robbins quotes (American advisor to leaders)

How do you celebrate the holiday season? Does this have meaning for you? Please share.

This blogpost was shared at Thankful Thursdays Week # 2

3 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to begin blogging. Thanks for the encouragement! You've made a great start. I can hear your fun, delightful and seriously engaged personality after reading your thoughts. I know more why I like you so much. I look forward to following your stream of consciousness! So, I found myself wondering if I'd used that term correctly. I think I did! I love learning new words and their meanings. (Stream of consciousness: a. a literary technique that reveals the flow of thoughts and feelings of characters through long passages of soliloquy. Soliloquy: 1. the act or custom of talking to oneself or talking when alone. 2. Drama, a speech in which a character reveals his thoughts to the audience but not to other characters in the play.) It makes me feel like the day has begun well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. I had a hard day and it was nice to come and read your post. I like having the raised awareness of gratitude! Thank you for sharing with us at Thankful Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am just stopping by checking out your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and ask questions. I love to hear from you. If you need to reach me via email, email at obloggernewbie@gmail.com

Thanks for Visiting

Hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again. Be well. Live well. Lead a colorful life! Warm regards, Nan